By 11:59 pm ET today All 30 teams have to declare which players will be added to their 40-man roster.
Players first signed at age 18 must be added to 40-man rosters within five seasons or they become eligible to be drafted by other organizations through the Rule 5 process. Players signed at 19 years or older have to be protected within four seasons. Clubs pay $50,000 to select a player in the Major League phase of the Rule 5 Draft, slated to take place on Dec. 10. If that player doesn’t stay on the 25-man roster for the full season, he must be offered back to his former team for $25,000.
In addition to being considered a valuable asset to the organization a player now becomes a member of one of the strongest unions in the United States, the Major League Baseball Players Association.
40 Man Benefits include but are not limited to:
- $41,400 minimum minor league salary for all Players signing a first Major League contract without having at least one day of Major League service
- $82,700 minimum for a player signing a second major league contract without having at least one day of Major League service
- Enrolled in the MLB Health and Wellfare Plan
- There is no charge for coverage for active MLBPA members an their eligible dependents
- $450,000 Life Insurance coverage
- Players are entitled to first-class airfare for any travel that is required or directed by the Club
- Marijuana Use – Players are now covered by the Major League Joint Drug Program.
- MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. The discipline for testing positive of marijuana use does not result in game suspension unless the player (i) was determined to have flagrantly disregarded his treatment program, and (ii) the commissioner were to determine that the player’s drug use presents a threat to the safety of other players. In that case, the commissioner could suspend the player for his marijuana use.
For more in depth information of the benefits you will receive as a player contact your agent or send us an email to setup a time to talk.